Wikiloc's Principles & Good Practices
Wikiloc's principles are very clear, take a look!
- Cordiality and mutual respect towards the whole community are basic in Wikiloc.
- Offensive behavior will not be tolerated: In private messages, trail comments, ratings (both positive and negative), forum posts and emails.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Always assume good faith:
- If a trail is not as you expected, the author probably didn't know how to do it better.
- GPS devices sometimes have satellite reception errors that will make a track less easy to follow.
- If a route disappoints you, you can write a cordial comment on it. Both the author and people interested in following this trail will see it and appreciate it.
- If you've had a positive experience, a trail rating and a thank-you comment will be very satisfactory to the author and very useful for potential followers of this trail.
- We encourage you to upload unique trails, from particular beautiful places, and to complement them with good descriptions and pictures or videos that will help users have an idea of the environment and to decide whether they wish to discover your trails.
- Respect local laws when following, recording or posting routes.
- Before leaving home to do your activity, inform yourself about the rules of the area. You can ask local organizations or the trail author.
- Make sure that travelling along the trails you follow and the vehicle you use are permitted. Even when there is right of way in private spaces, if the owners or authorities do not wish to grant access, we at Wikiloc suggest that you look for alternatives in order to avoid unnecessary conflicts. Oftentimes, you can find this information in the comment section for each route. Also, take into account specific situations such as the possibility that it is allowed to pass on foot but not by bicycle or a motorized vehicle. Remember that in the end what you decide to do with the information you find on Wikiloc is your personal responsibility, since Wikiloc cannot guarantee its veracity, updates, or that it is valid for any purpose.
- If you use a vehicle, respect traffic rules.
- Take care of the living creatures and the environment surrounding you. Leave no trace behind other than your footprint. Take nothing with you except for your memories.
- Remember that doing good is good karma! :-)